This feed contains pages with tag "bibutils".
I wanted to report a success story with topgit which is a rather new patch queue managment extension for git. If that sounds like gibberish to you, this is probably not the blog entry you are looking for.
Some time ago I decided to migrate the debian packaging of bibutils to topgit. This is not a very complicated package, with 7 quilt patches applied to upstream source. Since I don't have any experience to go on, I decided to follow Martin 'madduck' Krafft's suggestion for workflow.
It all looks a bit complicated (madduck will be the first to agree),
but it forced me to think about which patches were intended to go
upstream and which were not. At the end of the conversion I had 4
patches that were cleanly based on upstream, and (perhaps most
importantly for lazy people like me), I could send them upstream with
tg mail. I did that, and a few days later, Chris Putnam sent me a
new upstream release incorporating all of those patches. Of course, now I have
to package this new upstream release :-).
The astute reader might complain that this is more about me developing
half-decent workflow, and Chris being a great guy, than about any
specific tool. That may be true, but one thing I have discovered
since I started using
git is that tools that encourage good workflow
are very nice. Actually, before I started using git, I didn't even use
workflow. So I just wanted to give a public thank you to
pasky for writing topgit and to madduck for pushing it into debian,
and thinking about debian packaging with topgit.