CONSULTING ACTIVITIES, PROFESSIONAL SERVICES TO GOVERN- MENTAL,
PROFESSIONAL AND INDUSTRIAL ASSOCIATIONS, EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTES,
GRANTING AGENCIES, ETC.
CONSULTING TO INDUSTRIES AND GOVERNMENTAL AGENCIES
1974-77 - Lasers Electronics and Controls, Pvt. Ltd.,
Nasik ,Maharashtra State, 422 005, India.
Products: Electronic Timers, Sequence Control Systems, Digital
1982-83 - S.S. Industries, MIDC Andheri (East)
Bombay 400 093, India
Products: Microcomputer-based temperature measurement and
1983 - Natel Chromatographs,
Manpada, Thane 400 601, India
Product: Microcomputer-based Gas Chromatograph
Taxation, Revenue Canada, Audit Department, Oct. 1985.
(Research evaluation of a company in Halifax.)
Taxation, Revenue Canada, Audit Dept., Aug. 1986.
(Research evaluation of a company in Toronto.)
Founded and President of SAI: Super and Intelligent Computer
Systems', Fredericton, N.B., Canada, 1988 to date. This proprietary
firm was incorporated in New Brunswick in 1994. Now it is involved in
the research, development and training in the field of high
performance computing, multimedia and artificial intelligence.
REFEREEING OF ARTICLES/BOOKS
- Acted as a referee for International Conference on 'Parallel
Processing', IEEE, ACM, Bellaire, Michigan, U.S.A., Aug. 1984 and
- Acted as a referee for National Computer Conferences,
sponsored by AFIPS Inc., ACM, IEEE and SCS, Las Vegas, U.S.A.,
June 9-12, 1984 and in Chicago, July 15-18, 1985.
- Acting as a referee for the International Journal of
Microcomputer Applications, 1984 to date (refereed 5 papers).
- Reviewer of the book 'Network Architectures for Distributed
Computing' by E.A. Yakubaitis (Allerton Press, 1983) for IEEE
Computer Magazine; review published in Computer, Vol. 18, No. 1,
p. 140, Jan. 1985.
- Acted as a referee for Canadian Information Processing
Society's CIPS'85 Conference, 1985.
- Acted as a referee for SIAM J. Scientific and Statistical
Computing, Aug.-Sept. 1987.
- Acted as a referee for IEEE Trans. on Computers, Aug.-Sept.
- Acted as a referee for Int. J. Parallel and Distributed
Computing, Aug. 1988.
- Acted as a reviewer for grant proposals for the Division of
Advanced Scientific Computing, National Science Foundation,
Washington, D.C., 20550, U.S.A., Dec. 1988.
- Acted as a referee for SIAM J. of Scientific and Statistical
Computing, March 1989.
- Acted as a referee for the Int. J. of Parallel and Distributed
Computing, April 1989.
- Acted as a referee for the Canadian VLSI Conference,
CCVLSI'89, June 1989.
- Acted as a reviewer of three papers submitted to CONPAR'90
Conference, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich,
Switzerland, Sept. 10-13, 1990, March 1990.
- Reviewed six papers submitted for the PARCOM-90 Conference,
Center for Development of Advanced Computing, Pune, India, Dec.
9-11, 1990, July-August 1990.
- External examiner for B. Engg. (Computer Science) projects at
Pune Institute of Computer Technology, Pune, India, June
- Reviewed six papers for the International Conference on
'Parallel Processing' St. Charles, IL, U.S.A., Aug. 1991.
- Reviewed 11 papers for Supercomputing Symposium'91,
Fredericton, NB, June 1991.
- Reviewed a paper for ACM 'Supercomputing' Conference, July
- Reviewed four papers for "SS'93: High Performance Computing
- conference, Calgary, AL, Canada, June 1993.
- Reviewed a paper for IEEE Trans. on 'Parallel and Distributed
Systems", June 1993.
- Refereed two papers for 5th UNB AI Symposium, August
- Reviewed three papers for the World Transputer Congress'94,
- Reviewed three papers for the World Transputer Congress
95, Harrogate International Centre, Harrogate, West
Yorkshire, U.K., Sept. 4-6, 1995.
- Reviewed 10 papers for the 10th Annual High Performance
Computing Symposium (HPCS'96), Ottawa, June 5-7, 1996.
- Reviewed one paper for International Conference on Parallel
and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA'96),
Sunnyvale, CA, USA.
- Reviewed a paper for the International Conference on Parallel
and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA'96)
New Horizons, Sunnyvale, CA, Aug. 9-11, 1996.
- Reviewed a number of abstracts and papers for the 10th
Annual International Symposium on High Performance Computers
(HPCS'96), Ottawa, June 5-7, 1996.
- Reviewed 9 summaries/short papers for 1997 IEEE Canadian
Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, May 25-28,
1997, St. John's, NF, Canada.
- Reviewed 5 papers for the 11th Annual International Symposium
on High Performance Computing Systems (HPCS'97), Winnipeg, MN,
Canada, July 10-12, 1997.
- Reviewed 5 papers for the 12th Annual International Symposium
on High Performance Computing Systems and Applications (HPCS''8),
Edmonton, AL, Canada, May 20-22, 998.
EXTERNAL REFEREEING FOR PROMOTION CASES
- Dept. of Computer Science, Purdue Univ., West Lafayette, USA,
- Computer Science Lab., Research School of Physical Sciences
& Eng., Australian National University, G.P.O. Box 4, Canberra
ACT 2601, Australia (Dec. 1992 and June 1995).
- Computer Science Dept., Division of Electrical Sciences,
Indian Institute of Science, Banglore, 560 012, India (May
- Arabnia, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Georgia,
415, Graduate Studies Research Center, Athens, GA, USA 30602
- Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of
Waterloo, ON, 1997.
REFEREEING FOR GRANTING AGENCIES
- Review of a National Science Foundation (NSF) grant proposal,
- Review of an NSERC Operating Grant application, Jan.1993.
- Reviewed one NSERC Strategic Grant and one Equipment Grant
- Review of an NSERC Research Grant proposal, Jan. 1996.
- Reviewed one NSERC Computer Science Research Grant
MASTER'S/Ph.D. THESIS EXAMINING COMMITTEES
Masters Thesis Committees
- Served on numerous thesis examining committees at the Indian
Institute of Technology, Bombay (for Departments of Computer
Science & Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics,
Mechanical Engineering and Aeronautical Engineering).
- Served on numerous Masters thesis examining committees at
U.N.B. for the School of Computer Science, Dept. of Electrical
Engineering, Mechanical Engineering.
Ph.D. Thesis Committees
- Examiner for Alina Sen, 'Part I: A Simple and Efficient
Synthesis of Bufalin and Part II: Cardiac Glycosides: Synthesis of
the Digitoxigenin Itomer Aminasugar Glycoside', (Supervisor: Dr.
Wiesner, Chemistry), Dec. 1984.
- Examiner for K. Natarajan, 'Design of Linear Multirate
Feedback Control Systems', (Supervisor: Dr. Doraiswami, Electrical
Engineering), Oct. 1986.
- Examiner for C.P. Diduch, 'Optimal Digital Control Systems:
Analysis and Design', (Supervisor: Dr. Doraiswami, Electrical
Engineering), March 1987.
- Chairman for G.V. Hadjisophocleous, 'Numerical Modelling of
LPG Horizontal Cylindrical Tanks Subjected to Heating
Environments' (Supervisor: Dr. Sousa, Mechanical Engineering),
- Examiner for J. Zhang, 'Simulation of Continuum Transport
using the Monte Carlo Method' (Supervisor: Dr. Hussein, Mechanical
Engg.), Dept. of Chemical Engineering, Oct. 9, 1992.
- Examiner for Wei Liu, 'Model Based Signal Feature Extraction
and Its Applications', Dept. of Electrical Engineering, July
- External Examiner for Peter Frempong-Mireku, Symbolic
Solution and Microcanonical Simulation of the Potts Model', Dept.
of Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science, Dalhousie
University, Halifax, NS, 1994.
- Chairperson for M.E.A. Abdelbaky, Photon-Electron
Transport Simulation in CANDU Reactor Channels', Dept. of
Mechanical Engineering, UNB, September 1994.
- Chairperson for Xiubin Xu, The Generating Function
Method and Nonlinear Approximation', Dept. of Mathematics, UNB,
- External Examiner for P.M. Hatkanagalekar, Concurrency
Issues in Operating System Kernels for Shared-Memory
Multiprocessor Architectures', Dept. of Computer Science and
Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India,
- Prasad Gokhale, Detection of Explosives Using Isotopic
Fast-Neutron Transmission Spectroscopy', Dept. of Mechanical
Engineering, UNB, Oct. 26, 1995.
- External Examiner for Ramaswami Sammynaiken,
Electron Paramagnetic Resonance and Theoretical Studies of
Transient Matrix Isolated 6-Arene Vanadium Complexes', Dept. of
Chemistry, UNB, Feb. 1996.
- Yahia Fadlalla, Approaches to Resolving Storage Covert
Channels in Relational Database Systems', Member, Advisory
Committee, Faculty of Computer Science, UNB, 1995-1996.
- External Examiner for Pin Chen, Parallelism
Revelation Model. Application to Parallel Programming', Dept. of
Computer Science & Technology, The Australian National
University, Canberra, Australia, July 1996.
- External Examiner for Mingwang An, Dept. of Mechanical
Engineering, UNB, July 1995.